November 20, 2012 / / Comments Off on Safety Lessons
This excellent post by Derek Lowe over at the In the Pipeline Blog is a stark reminder that we all work in a dangerous business. The analysis illustrates all of the classical causes of disasters:
- Complacency- This disaster happened on the 175th run.
- Ignoring Close Calls- Past close calls were never investigated.
- Exothermic Reactions- No need to say more.
- No Redundancy of Critical Systems- At this point in history, having no back-up cooling water is like a theme from a bad movie.
- Education & Training- Obviously the education and training necessary to safely run this reaction were not present.
Please remember to stay safe.